Focus and Scope
Journal Revista Ingenierías Universidad de Medellín -RIUM- is a multidisciplinary publication on the fields of engineering and basic sciences such as mathematics, physics, and chemistry. RIUM aims to discuss key issues for regional development from the perspective of engineering.
Historically, the journal has fundamentally covered the interests of environmental, civil, systems, and financial engineering. Recently papers associated with industrial, electrical, and electronic engineering have had a constant and relevant presence. Also, the journal is open to dissemination in any other field of engineering, establishing trends in each issue’s publication.
The journal prioritizes the reception of articles derived from research projects to achieve their adequate disclosure among academics, students, and interest groups in society. In addition to original articles, it receives literature reviews, reflections, and case studies, among others.
From Revista Ingenierías Universidad de Medellín, we declare the need for scientific knowledge to circulate and be appropriated in our region and contribute to the analysis and solution of local problems. In this sense, we are interested in continuing the dissemination exercise in English.
Peer Review Process
Each article is sent to a group of peer reviewers, preferably from outside Colombia. The evaluation follows the "double-blind" procedure in which neither the authors nor the evaluators know each other.
We try to ensure that each article has at least two evaluations. Each evaluator is assigned a response time of three weeks.
The evaluators are competent academics in their respective fields of study and the fundamental selection criterion is that they have publications in scientific journals of high impact in the last two years.
The Revista Ingenierías Universidad de Medellín Journal is biannual and is regularly published in June (for the January-June issue) and December (for the July-December issue) each year. It is eventually published before June and December whenever the editorial process of the respective issue makes it possible.
The magazine receives articles for publication permanently, at any time of the year.
In order to define which items are included in the evaluation process for each number, the following closing dates have been established:
All articles received up to the closing date are included in the evaluation process for each journal’s issue. Depending on the number of articles received and approved from the evaluation process, the journal may decide to anticipate the construction of future issues.
Open Access Policy
This journal provides immediate free access to its content under the principle of making available free research to the public, which encourages a greater exchange of global knowledge.
The Revista Inegnierías Journal preserves the copyright of the published works, and favors and allows their reuse.
Works published in the Journal’s electronic edition with a Creative Commons license may be copied, used, circulated, transmitted and publicly displayed provided that:
a) Authorship and the original source of publication (journal, editorial, and URL of the work) are cited.
b) They are not used for commercial purposes.
c) The existence and specifications of this license of use are mentioned.
Journal’s Code of Ethics
Regarding the authors:
- Authors must state the originality of their work, that it has not been published, that the data are truthful, and that it has not been submitted and will not be submitted to another journal while the editorial process in Revista Ingenierías Universidad de Medellín is in force.
- They must know and integrally fulfill the authors’ instructions.
- Authors must indicate, with truth and precision, their academic qualifications, institutional affiliation, research groups membership, physical address, city, telephone, and e-mail in the corresponding registration area in the journal’s Open Journal System (ops).
- If they exist, authors must announce any conflicts of interest relevant to all those involved.
- The authors must ensure that all those who participated in the article development process and made a significant contribution to the results presented have been included as authors.
- Authors should manifest to the editors if any individual should not review the submitted material, provided that such requests are reasonable and viable.
- Authors should know the Journal’s publication dates, as well as deadlines for article submission and acceptance.
- Authors should request permission from the journal’s editor to use the published material in the article if they wish to incorporate it in a book publication.
- Authors may appeal the editorial decisions.
Regarding the reviewers or arbitrators:
- The manuscripts’ review is done by “double-blind” expert peers, based on the double-blind international system, which ensures that the revision meets standards of anonymity.
- Reviewers must state whether there is a conflict of interest, which may emerge as a result of proximity or hostility towards the authors. The conflict may also arise if they recognize the authors even though their names have been removed from the manuscript. The arbitrators must declare any conflict of interest and reject the editors' invitation to evaluate a manuscript when, for example, they identify the authorship of the manuscript, are academically or familiarly close to the authors, belong to the same university, department, research group, professional network, research project, or any other type of connection, conflict or professional proximity.
- Reviewers must review the article in the times assigned by the journal, in order to respect delivery times (3 weeks, maximum of 6 weeks) out of respect for the authors and their work.
- The reviewer must maintain strict confidentiality in the evaluation of a manuscript and should not disclose its content to third parties.
- Under no circumstance may the reviewers use the material that the magazine entrusted to them, for their own publications or personal use. The contents of the articles can only be used with due reference to the source, once the article has had a successful editing process and has been published.
- Reviewers may not disclose content or evaluation information with persons other than the editors with whom they have contact in the journal.
- The opinion of the reviewers is vital to detect content originality and ensure the manuscript’s scientific and literary quality.
- Evaluations should contain an in-depth analysis of the manuscript, contrasting the presented information, and checking the scientific literature applied. They should also submit a detailed report to the editors on the suitability of the work for its publication.
- Reviewers should comment on ethical issues and possible inappropriate research and publication behaviors arising from the received material.
Regarding the editors:
- The editor must ensure the quality of the material published in the Journal.
- The editor must select expert peers with knowledge, experience, and academic trajectory in the subject, without conflicts of interest.
- The editors must ensure that each article has at least two quality and relevant evaluations.
- Editors must respect copyright.
- Editors must guarantee the author’s and reviewer’s confidentiality and anonymity throughout the process. As well as those regarding consents and special requirements for research in humans and animals.
- Editors must publish corrections, clarifications, retractions, and apologies when necessary.
- Editors must actively seek viewpoints of authors, readers, reviewers, committee members, and / or other journal’s editorial boards, on possible ways to improve their publishing processes.
- Editors must comply with the semiannual periodicity declared by the journal Revista Ingenierías.
- Editors must identify, select, and review the member’s composition of the Journal’s Editorial and Scientific Committee, according to the experience and academic trajectory of its members.
- Editors must use systems implemented to detect data forgery, either for routine use or as well as in cases where plagiarism is suspected. To further verify this point, the journal Revista Ingenierías applies the anti-plagiarism software, Turnitin, to determine the similarity of content an article has with other documents.
Regarding the Editorial and Scientific Committees:
- The Committees must advise and recommend the editors' strategies and policies that allow them to improve the scientific quality of the journal.
- They should evaluate the issues published in each period in order to identify mistakes and suggest changes in subsequent editions.
- Committees shall recommend new members for the Editorial and Scientific Committees of the Journal.
- The Committees must recommend themes and support the editorial process of the special issues published by the journal.
- They shall monitor compliance with the editorial requirements of the journal and the new guidelines that must be taken in order for the journal to improve or maintain its level of visibility and internationalization.
- They should contribute to the appointment and assignment of peer evaluators for themes that are related to their field of work.
- Committee members shall serve as arbitrators if controversies arise due to contradictory evaluations or of doubtful scientific quality.
The Journal has been included in the following databases:
- B category in the Índice Bibliográfico Nacional de Publicaciones Seriadas Científicas y Tecnológicas Colombianas de COLCIENCIAS - Publindex
- Gale Cengage Learning
- Fuente Acádemica Premier - ebsco -
- Academic Search Complete - ebsco -
- SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online
- sci - Scielo Citation Index of the Web of Science
- Directory of Open Access Journals - doaj
Article’s Management Fees
The Revista Ingenierías, Universidad de Medellín journal has no charges or fees for processing articles (Article Processing Charge [apc]) sent by the authors. Neither are they charged for submitting articles.
On the selection of articles and the flow of communication with authors
The selection of articles and communication with the authors is based on the following procedures and considerations:
- The Open Journal System (OJS) platform under which the journal operates generates automatic messages when the authors make a new submission. The generated message is understood as the reception of the article.
- The editorial team reviews compliance with the requirements set out in the author's guidelines.
- If these requirements are not met, communication is generated from the OJS by the editor or a section editor indicating to the author or group of authors the necessary adjustments that must be reflected in the platform in a time not exceeding two weeks. The author or author of correspondence must indicate in an additional email to firstname.lastname@example.org that he has made the adjustments requested in the article.
- If an article does not comply with the rules it is rejected, notified, and archived.
- Once the article meets the required requirements, it is assigned to a section editor for the appointment of peer evaluators.
- Communication with peer reviewers is done from the protocols and templates established by the OJS.
- The evaluators are responsible for ensuring the thematic quality and must express their opinion about the possibility of publishing the article. In case the concept of the pair is discordant (one of the evaluators recommends to publish the article and the other does not), a third evaluator must be appointed. In the event that a third evaluator fails to settle the dispute, members of the Editorial and Scientific Committees will be commissioned to issue a qualified concept.
- Once the article has been approved for publication by the reviewers, the editorial team of the journal evaluates the articles’ editorial quality.
- The article is then a) returned to the author for him to make the modifications or adjustments suggested by the evaluators and editorial team, or b) rejected.
- The author or group of authors has a cautious period of a maximum of two weeks to make the necessary adjustments to the article. Even in this instance, an article approved by evaluation can be rejected if the authors do not incorporate the requested changes or if they do not respond to messages sent by the journal in the two weeks term. The authors are notified at all times of these procedures and deadlines.
- Finally, the article is sent to the processes of translation of preliminaries, style correction, and editorial layout.
- Authors are asked to cast their judgment regarding the first print tests to detect layout inconsistencies.
- We proceed then with the online and print publication of the corresponding issue of the journal.
About complaints due to the Journal’s actions
To formulate complaints about Revista Ingenierías, please follow the procedure below:
1. The best way to resolve your concerns is to email email@example.com clearly stating the reason for your disagreement.2. When the complaint refers to the performance of one of the reviewers or a member of the Editorial Committee, please direct your communication to the Journal’s editor.
3. When your complaint relates to the general behavior of the editorial team or editor, please direct your communication to Mr. Leonardo David López Escobar, Coordinator of the imprint, or Sello Editorial of the Universidad de Medellín, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, sending a copy to the journal’s email.
4. The journal will have a maximum of five business days to confirm the reception of your complaint.
5. Depending on the complexity of your case, the journal will have up to four weeks to provide a complete response to your request.
6. The Journal’s editor is the instance that, under normal conditions, issues a maximum criterion about your complaint.
7. In case that the Journal’s editor may not issue a maximum criterion, it will be the Coordinator of the imprint, or Sello Editorial, who issues the last criterion to solve your case.
The Revista Ingenierías journal is a publication of the Faculty of Engineering and is part of the publication system of the Universidad de Medellín.
Sources of Support
The Revista Ingenierías journal of the Universidad de Medellín is a biannual publication that, since 2002, has aimed to build an academic community between the engineers of the country and the world.