Scaffolding system for solving problems in engineering education
Copyright (c) 2020 Revista Ingenierías Universidad de Medellín
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
The demands of today's world have induced necessary changes in education curricula, teaching methods, modernization of learning scenarios, pedagogies, didactics, among others. Students now require learning scenarios where they can interact with knowledge directly; turning them into active agents within their training process, capable of solving problems. The main purpose of this research is to evaluate a system of contextual awareness as learning scaffolding in problem solving activities in first semester students of systems engineering, in order to analyze the effect on academic performance and students’ participation in solving problems. Results show that students who had access to the context awareness system as scaffolding for learning had better scores.
- O. Kwon, K. Yoo and E. Suh, “ubiES: An intelligent expert system for proactive services deploying ubiquitous computing technologies”, Proceedings of the 38th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, Big Island, HI, USA., vol. 28, n.° 1, pp. 149-161, 2005.
- C.T. Fosnot, R.S. Perry, “Constructivism: A psychological theory of learning”, in Constructivism: Theory, perspectives and practice 2nd ed., pp. 8-38, New York: Teacher's College Press, 2005.
- C.-H. Tsai and J.-Y. Huang, “A mobile augmented reality based scaffolding platform for outdoor fieldtrip learning”, in Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Advanced Applied Informatics, pp. 307–312, 2014. DOI: 10.1109/IIAI-AAI.2014.70
- G. Hwang, C. Tsai, and S. YANG, “Criteria, Strategies and Research Issues of Context-Aware Ubiquitous Learning”, Educational Technology & Society, vol. 11, n.° 2, pp. 81-91, 2008.
- R. Kalaivani and R. Sivakumar, “A survey on context-aware ubiquitous learning systems”, International Journal of Control Theory and Applications, vol. 10, n.° 23, pp. 111- 124, 2017.
- M. A. Virtanen, E. Haavisto, E. Liikanen, and M. Kääriäinen, "Ubiquitous learning environments in higher education: A scoping literature review", Education and Information Technologies, vol. 23, n.° 2, pp. 985–998, 2018.
- M. B. Ibañez et al., “Support for augmented reality simulation systems: the effects of scaffolding on learning outcomes and behavior patterns”, IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies, vol. 9, n.° 1, pp. 46-56, 2016.
- G. Singh et al., “Ci-Spy: designing a mobile augmented reality system for scaffolding historical inquiry learning”, in Proceedings IEEE International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality-Media, Art, Social Science, Humanities and Design, Japan, pp. 9-14, 2015.
- N. Phumeechanya and P. Wannapiroon, “Design of problem-based with scaffolding learning activities in ubiquitous learning environment to develop problem-solving skills”, Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, vol. 116, pp. 4803-4808, 2014.
- N. Phumeechanya and P. Wannapiroon, 2013, “Ubiquitous Scaffold Learning Environment Using Problem-Based Learning to Enhance Problem-Solving Skills and Context Awareness”, International Journal on Integrating Technology in Education, vol. 2, n.° 4, pp. 23-33, 2013.
- C. Bettini et al., “A survey of context modelling and reasoning techniques”, Pervasive and Mobile Computing, vol. 6, n.° 2, pp. 161-180, 2010.
- K. Balavalad, S. Manvi and A. Sutagundar, “Context aware computing in wireless sensor networks”, in Proceedings International Conference on Advances in Recent Technologies in Communication and Computing, pp. 514-516, 2009.
- A. Ruiz-Iniesta, G. Jimenez-Díaz and M. Gómez-Albarrán, “A Semantically Enriched Context-Aware OER Recommendation Strategy and Its Application to a Computer Science OER Repository”, IEEE Transactions on Education, vol. 57, n.° 4, pp. 255-260, 2014.
- C. Perera et al., “Context aware computing for the internet of things: A survey”, IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials, vol. 16, n.° 1, pp. 414-454, 2014.
- J. Gómez, J. Huete and V. Hernández, “A contextualized system for supporting active learning”, IEEE Transaction on Learning Tecnology, vol. 9, pp. 196-202, 2016.
- R. M. Gagne and L. J. Briggs, Principles of instructional design. Holt, Rinehart & Winston, 1974.
- M. C. Kim and M. J. Hannafin, “Scaffolding problem solving in technology-enhanced learning environments (TELEs): Bridging research and theory with practice”, Computers & Education, vol. 56, n.° 2, pp. 403-417, 2011.
- D. P. Maloney, Research on problem solving: Physics, in Handbook of Research on Science Teaching and Learning, pp. 327-354, 1994.
- F. J. Perales, “La resolución de problemas: Una revisión estructurada”, Enseñanza de las Ciencias, vol. 11, n.° 2, pp. 170-178, 1993.
- D. Wood, J. S. Bruner and G. Ross, “The role of tutoring in problem solving”, Journal of child psychology and psychiatry, vol. 17, n.° 2, pp. 89-100, 1976.
- L. S. Vygotsky, Mind in society: The development of higher psychological processes. Harvard University Press, 1980.
- J. S. Krajcik and P. Blumenfeld, Project-based learning, in The Cambridge Handbook of the Learning Sciences, New York: Cambridge University Press, pp. 317-334, 2006.
- R. E. Mayer and M. C. Wittrock, Problem-solving transfer, in Handbook of educational psychology, pp. 47-62, 1996.
- J. D. Novak, “Meaningful learning: The essential factor for conceptual change in limited or inappropriate propositional hierarchies leading to empowerment of learners”, Science Education, vol. 86, n.° 4, pp. 548-571, 2002.
- J. Van Merriënboer et al., “Blueprints for complex learning: The 4C/ID-model”, Educational Technology Research and Development, vol. 50, n.° 2, pp. 39-61, 2002.
- B. Bomsdorf, “Adaptation of learning spaces: Supporting ubiquitous learning in higher distance education”, in Proceedings Dagstuhl Seminar Mobile Computing and Ambient Intelligence: Challenge Multimedia, n.° 05181, 2005.
- G. Adomavicius and A. Tuzhilin, Context-aware recommender systems, in Recommender Systems Handbook, pp. 191-226, Springer US, 2015.
- B. Newsom et al., “Modelling User Behaviors to Enable Context-Aware Proactive Decision Support”, in Context-Enhanced Information Fusion, Springer International Publishing, pp. 231-267, 2016.
- G. J. Nalepa and S. Bobek, “Rule-based solution for context-aware reasoning on mobile devices”, Computer Science and Information Systems, vol. 11, n.° 1, pp. 171-193, 2014.
- G. Adomavicius and D. Jannach, “Preface to the special issue on context-aware recommender systems”, User Modelling and User-Adapted Interaction, vol. 24, 2014.
- G. D. Abowd, A. K. Dey, P. J. Brown, N. Davies, M. Smith and P. Steggles, "Towards a better understanding of context and context-awareness", in Proceedings of the 1st ACM International Symposium on Handheld and Ubiquitous Computing (HUC), Springer-Verlag, London, pp. 304-307, 1999.